The town of Wallace was first known as Duplin Crossroads and was incorporated into existence in 1873. Later in 1899, the town fathers decided to adopt the new name, Wallace, to honor Stephen D. Wallace, an official of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.
Wallace is Duplin County's largest population and retail trade
center serving over 50,000 people in a surrounding three county
area. The population of Wallace in 2003 was 3,384 people.
Wallace is proud of their progressive nature which has helped to bring Interstate 40, improved highways and roads as well as an Industrial Park for future business growth. Wallace is also in the process of upgrading their sewage plant capabilities and is home to a city-run library, recreation department, airport and an 18-hole golf course.
Wallace is governed by a mayor, five councilmen, and council-city manager as their main form of government.
Pre-schools are available for children ages 3 and 4 in Wallace
and our public schools offer modern facilities and excellent administration,
faculty and staff. Wallace Elementary School serves students in
kindergarten through fifth grade. Charity Middle School reaches
the sixth through eighth grade ranges and the Wallace-Rose High
School educates grades nine through twelve. The Duplin County Education
Foundation raises funds to foster, promote and encourage educational
opportunities and programs within our public schools for which funding
is not available. Three private schools are also located within
eighteen miles of Wallace.
Wallace has an active Chamber of Commerce which meets the second
Thursday of every month. Wallace 100 Committee, Inc. (chartered
by the Chamber) promotes the welfare of trade, manufacturing, industrial
and agricultural interest of the town and surrounding area. SouthPark,
a new industrial park, is open near I-40 in Wallace. Low tax rates
are an incentive to industry and business considering the Wallace
area. Textiles, garment sewing, poultry processing, frozen foods
and swine production are all prospering industries in the area.
The downtown business district thrives in Wallace as does the stretch
of business along Highway 117. The Wallace Airport, Henderson Field,
serves to make Wallace more accessible. The airport offers a 4,000
foot paved and lighted runway with a navigational beacon.
Wallace is also home to a variety of arts and cultural events. The Thelma Dingus Bryant Library is owned and operated by the town of Wallace. The Friends of the Thelma Dingus Bryant Library and the Duplin Arts Council offer cultural activities throughout the year.
Civic and fraternal organizations include:
- Wallace Woman's Club and Wallace Junior Woman's Club (both members of the NC Federation of Woman's Clubs)
- Rotary Club
- Lions Club
- Chamber of Commerce
- Wallace 100 Committee, Inc.
- Garden Clubs, Book Club
- American Business Woman's Association
- Beta Sigma Phi
- Eastern Star
The Wallace Downtown Revitalization Association and the town opened the Wanoca Outdoor Amphitheater for cultural activities in 2000. Recreational programs, arranged by the town's recreational department, are available all year for every age. Newly expanded in 1999, the Campbell Center is a multi-purpose recreational facility, offering many activities for the community. It is located on the grounds of Clement Park. There are two 18-hole golf courses in the area: Rockfish Country Club west of Wallace on Highway 41 and River Landing, a private 27-hole championship golf course, located off Interstate 40 on Highway 41 South.
For more information on Wallace, visit www.wallacechamber.com and www.wallace100.com.